The KU School of Engineering and its departments award scholarships to entering freshman and continuing undergraduate students. This is on top of offers from the University. This support is made possible through generous donations from successful alumni and friends of the school who want to ensure others have access to the same great opportunities they had here.
All students are STRONGLY encouraged to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year by December 1 to ensure they are considered for all scholarship aid for which they are eligible.
First time, domestic students applying for admission to the School of Engineering will be considered for scholarships if they apply to the School of Engineering by November 1. KU’s Undergraduate Application for Admission also serves as the School of Engineering scholarship application. No additional forms need to be submitted unless applying also for the Self Engineering Leadership Fellows Program or the FIRST Robotics Scholarship.
Prospective engineering students who are offered scholarships will receive a letter detailing their total scholarship package from the University, School of Engineering and department. The combined scholarship letter documents the student’s award for the coming academic year as well as the projected amount over four years provided the student meets the requirements for maintaining their scholarship funding.
If ACT/SAT tests are taken more than once, the highest scores will be used for engineering scholarship consideration. The December test date is the last score that will be used. Students submitting test scores after the December test date may be re-evaluated by the School of Engineering on a case-by-case basis depending on available funds at that time.
All grade point averages are converted to an unweighted 4.0 scale so every prospective student has the same opportunity for consideration.
Visit KU Financial Aid & Scholarships for additional scholarship and financial aid information.
Freshman scholarships are automatically renewed each semester provided students meet the renewal criteria as stated below:
- Maintain a cumulative 3.25 KU grade point average
- Enroll full-time each semester
- Complete at least 30 KU credit hours each academic year
- Make progress toward an engineering degree by following the four-year curriculum guidelines for a student's declared engineering degree program
Some scholarship funds have specific award criteria. To help us process your scholarship renewal and identify you for future scholarships, please complete the Scholarship Interest Form.
Diversity Program Scholarships
Please refer to the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion scholarship page for scholarship information.
Continuing and Transfer Students
Currently enrolled KU engineering students can apply for a few specific engineering scholarships such as Study Abroad, Ambassador, Johnson Scholarship for female students, or the David Scholarship for international students. Submission deadlines for these applications are typically in mid-March. These scholarships are considered non-renewable and will need to be applied for each year. Please watch for these scholarship announcements in the weekly Engineering Newsletter.
Students transferring from the junior college system into the KU School of Engineering may be eligible for the Hill Memorial Scholarship for junior college transfers. The submission deadline is May 1.
There may be additional opportunities for scholarships for continuing students at the department level. Please contact your department directly for potential additional funding if available.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical & Petroleum Engineering
These are scholarships that are not awarded by KU.
- AfterCollege Student Scholarships
- ACEC Scholarships
- AmericanMuscle Student Scholarship
- BluePay STEM Scholarship
- 2020 Creative Biolabs Scholarship Program deadline September 15, 2020
- ExtremeTerrain Student Scholarship
- Goldwater Scholarship
- Honeywell Women in Engineering Scholarships
- International Society of Automation Scholarships
- Kurz Industrial Solutions Wind Energy Scholarship Fund
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Veteran Car Donations Annual Scholarship deadline August 15, 2020
- Charles Wagner Memorial Scholarship
- Patti Johnson Wilson Foundation Scholarship