• Home
  • Academics
  • Graduate Graduation FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I mail my documents to Research & Graduate Programs (SoE Student Success Suite)?

Yes, graduation documents can be mailed or sent electronically by email, but we strongly encourage you to visit our office if possible.  If you must mail or email your documents, please use the following address:  School of Engineering Research & Graduate Programs, 1520 W. 15th Street, 1415L LEEP2, Lawrence, KS 66045-7535 or email to aparadis@ku.edu

What is an embargo and should I place one on my work?

Embargoes are generally advised if you have a publishing agreement for your entire manuscript, have a patent pending or if your research is of a sensitive nature. Embargoes can only be granted with the signature endorsement of your Graduate Director on your ETD Release form. By signing, your director agrees that your submission will be held from public access for up to 2 years.  More information about embargoes can be found here.

What is copyrighting and should I register a copyright for my work?

Your work is already protected, but you may choose to have UMI Proquest register copyright on your behalf with the Library of Congress (for a fee).  Please see KU Libraries' information on copyright and image copyright for more information.

How can I obtain my diploma earlier than the posted date?

Diplomas are processed by the Registrar’s office after grades post for the semester you graduate (see Academic Calendar for specific dates). Diplomas are ordered after that date and shipped to the Registrar’s office to be dispersed. If there are extenuating circumstances which require a diploma (a SOFD is not sufficient), you can make a request to the University Registrar at registrar@ku.edu.

Which companies provide binding services?

Please visit the Graduate Studies website for recommended binding companies. One local company that also provides soft-bound copies is Printing Solutions.

Will RGP check my submission before the graduation deadline?

It is the student’s responsibility to file the thesis or dissertation before the Application for Graduation deadline, and to ensure that it meets all ProQuest and University formatting guidelines. RGP staff will verify that the submission has been completed prior to the deadline, as this is a requirement of graduation. RGP staff also complete a basic formatting check as a courtesy to students. We make every effort to do this check before the degree verification process is complete, though an unusually large number of graduates may cause delays. You will receive an email notification when your thesis has been reviewed and the formatting approved, or if there are formatting changes needed. In the latter case, you are given two weeks to make the necessary changes.

When will I get my official diploma?

Diplomas will not be available until the middle of the following semester (see Academic Calendar for actual date). You will be notified when your diploma is available for pick-up.  You may also have your diploma mailed to you by selecting this option when you complete the online Application for Graduation or online through the Registrar's website.

Is there a special ceremony for doctoral degree candidates?

Yes. In addition to Commencement, all doctoral degree candidates are invited to participate in the Doctoral Hooding Ceremony each May. The Office of Graduate Studies coordinates the event. This event is intended for students who completed their degree by the spring graduation deadline (although students completing in summer may attend).

How do I attend the Engineering Recognition Ceremony?

All students must RSVP for the Recognition Ceremony at least one month prior to the date of the event online or by contacting the School of Engineering Dean’s Office at 785-864-3881. Spring graduates are encouraged to attend the ceremony in May and Fall graduates should plan to attend the ceremony in December. Summer graduates have the option to attend either ceremony. There is no ceremony in the summer. Students who complete the RSVP will receive confirmation and instructions.

What happens if I miss the deadline to RSVP and want to attend the ceremony?

You may be able to attend the ceremony, with permission from the SoE Dean’s Office, but your name will not be in the ceremony brochure unless you meet the RSVP deadline. Please contact us as soon as possible. You may also choose to attend a later semester with permission from the Dean’s Office.

What do I wear to the graduation ceremony (regalia)?

All students must wear a black cap and gown. Graduate students also wear a hood (optional for master’s students) and a black tassel. Undergraduate students wear an orange tassel. More information here (PDF).

How much is regalia and where can I purchase it?

All regalia may be purchased at any KU bookstore. The black cap and gown may be purchased, rented or borrowed, as long as it is black. The tassel is black for graduate students and orange for undergraduate students. The estimated cost is $41 for undergraduates, $50-75 for master’s graduates and $75-100 for doctoral graduates.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times